1. Our world view is all wrong. "Be holy as I am holy" is not a core conviction.
2. We prefer the things that are "more exciting" - like worship, harvesting tithes, building buildings, getting on the latest trendy movement of evangelicalism.
3. Not intentional enough. We think Sunday school or the regular programming dynamic of the local church will do the trick to transform lives.
4. We read the gospels for many reasons but not to find the methodology of Jesus for changing the world.
5. Hard to brag about discipleship in the statistics manual of district conference.
6. It is hard work.
7. We were not discipled therefore we don't have a clue what is meant by discipleship or how to do it.
8. American society is a time stealer, and discipleship, alas, takes time.
Borrowed from Evangelism Today!